I learned this recipe from a fellow co-worker about 5 years ago. It has become a family staple dessert since then.
I’ve made a few changes to the original recipe during these five years to make it more appealing to the family taste. The good thing about this bread pudding recipe is that you can nearly change anything in it (except bread and eggs) to make it yours or improve the taste.
This recipe is especially a great way to make use of leftover breads from a holiday dinner or family gathering.
Want to make it alcohol-free and kid-friendly? Just replace the brandy with 1/2 cup of water mixed with 1 tbsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of cider or white vinegar and you’re good to go!
The bread that you use for this recipe needs to be dry! If it’s fresh, you need to first cube it and then allow it to stale overnight in a bowl. Or, if your time is limited, you can make the bread dry quickly by putting it in a 200°F oven for 10 minutes.
Bread Pudding Recipe (with Brandy Sauce)
Ingredients (Bread Pudding)
- 3 cup italian bread (cubed)
- 5 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 cup milk
- 2 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Ingredients (Brandy Sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
Instructions (Bread Pudding)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175℃). Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bread mixture: Mix together milk, eggs, and sugar in a big bowl. Add vanilla to the mixture. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Brown Sugar Mixture: Mix together brown sugar, butter, and pecans in another bowl.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch frying pan with some oil or melted butter. Lubricate all parts of the pan, including the bottom and the sides, well.
- Pour “bread mixture” into the greased pan and sprinkle the “brown sugar mixture” over it.
- Bake it for 35-45 minutes, until the liquid has set. When the edges of the mixture start getting brown and pull away from the edges of the pan, your pudding is done. While the bread pudding is cooking you can make the brandy sauce.
Instructions (Brandy Sauce)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add white sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla to the butter and whisk until well blended and the sugar melted.
- Stir the brandy into the mixture. Your sauce is ready now! It should be soft, creamy, and smooth.
- This bread pudding should be served with brandy sauce on the side. Pour the sauce on the pudding to improve the taste.