These Asian chicken lettuce wraps, which are a copycat of PF Chang’s, are simply damn delicious!
Great taste is not the only perk of this favorite dish. These wraps are super healthy too! They’re are very low on carbs, gluten and dairy-free.
It’s also so easy to prepare. It’ll only takes about 15-30 minutes to prepare.
It’s also so budget-friendly. So, if you need to cook a delish and budget-friendly dinner for a large number of people, like a party or family gathering, chicken lettuce wraps is the perfect recipe for you.
Their taste would also stay intact and fresh for a few days if they’re kept in the fridge. So, you can also make a bag batch of them and have the leftovers during the next day for lunch or dinner.
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 (8-ounce) can whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 cup red/green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
Ingredients for Serving
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- In a small or medium bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients of sauce. If the peanut butter is too firm, melt it in a sauce pan and over low heat before adding it to mixture.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 or 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and add the ground chicken.
- Cook the chicken slowly until it gets brown. Add the diced onion to the pan and fry for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add peppers and water chestnuts to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until peppers get soft.
- Add the sauce you created in step one to the frying pan. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has cooked off and veggies are evenly coated.
- To serve, put a few spoons of the chicken mixture you prepared in frying pan into the center of a lettuce leaf.
- Finally, as an optional step, you may spread some grated carrot over your lettuce wrap for an enhanced taste and texture.
- Make sure to dice the veggies into small pieces to achieve the best taste and texture.
- You can also serve this chicken lettuce wraps over a bed of rice or noodle instead of into a lettuce leaf! In this case you can eat it with spoon. This kind of serving is especially more appealing to kids.
- If you have peanut allergy you can substitute peanut oil with olive oil and peanut butter with any other nut or seed butter.
- You can also substitute whole water chestnut with 1 cup of chopped mushroom, although I do not recommend you to do so.
- Hoisin sauce is an important ingredient which gives the filling a rich and savory depth. So, do not skip it.
- Bibb or butter lettuce are the best kind of lettuce for this recipe.